Mentorship plays an essential role in helping students and faculty navigate their professional future. These resources are meant to enhance mentoring effectiveness and support both mentors and mentees at Washington University.
Helpful Mentoring Articles
- Mentoring Guide
- A Peer Mentoring Group for Junior Clinicians
- Academic Mentoring – How to Give It and How to Get It Article (Visual abstract HERE)
- Four Archetypes to Help Mentees Succeed (Visual abstract HERE)
- Great Mentoring in Graduate School
- UCSF Faculty Mentoring Program Toolkit
- Choosing a Research Project and a Research Mentor (Visual abstract HERE)
- Mentoring Millenials
- How Mentoring Evolves (Visual abstract HERE)
- Mentorship Malpractice
- What the Best Mentors Do (Visual abstract HERE)
- Best Practices and Pearls in Interdisciplinary Mentoring (Visual abstract HERE)
- Characteristics of Successful and Failed Mentoring (Visual abstract HERE)
- Making the Most of Mentoring (Visual abstract HERE)
- New Mentor Evaluation Tool: Evidence of Validity
Understanding Academic Advancement
- Washington University Promotion Resources
Available Mentoring Workshops
- Members of the Academy of Educators are available to provide mentorship workshops to your faculty and/or trainees.
- The goal of these sessions is to develop skills or mentors and/or mentees across disciplines and levels of training and practice. Topics covered include the functions of mentors, fostering the relationship with your mentee/mentor, and establishing expectations and goals. The content and format can be tailored to the needs of your group.
- Mentoring workshop requests can be made HERE.
Mentoring and Diversity and Inclusion
- Focus on DEI as it relates to mentoring
Individualized Development Plan (IDP) Sample
Appointments and Promotions
- For information about faculty appointments and promotions, visit the Office of Faculty Promotions and Career Development website.